Deerly Beloved

If one were collecting deer carcasses for, say, shocking art, or a late night snack, or maybe to start a line of luggage made from their hide and call it Carrion Luggage, one need only travel down the road I take to work everyday. As the weeks have scrolled by I began noticing them in the backdrop. At first it was an ugly smear across the road ending in a pile of unidentifiable rubbish. What other creature has the capability to turn life instantly into trash? How bold, how exciting! And so I drove, day in and day out over the blood soaked highway carefully teaching myself to avert my mind. Then it was me swerving into the other lane to avoid contributing to this macabre play called "My Drive to Work". In my mind I pictured a horde of turkey vultures swarming around the dead deer, rending in their own beaky fashion for the tasty flavours provided when asphalt mixes with meat. I saw the world swatting these vultures one at a time with a Chevy Suburban or Ford F-350 or one of the numerous Hummers that have become indigenous to this locale. A smorgasbord of roadkill! That was when I began to notice, melting into the green blur of grass and brush on the roadside, a patch of dusky brown with a giant orange 'X' painted on it. These patches with X's began sprouting up daily along the roadside.
I'm assuming that dump trucks come in the night to pick up the left overs and maybe the bright orange 'X's are to make them easier to spot. And this is probably all helping to curb the burgeoning deer population which is probably threatening the ecology with their breeding and eating and getting hit by cars. Although the human population is about 43X that of the deer population in this state and land developers are tearing it up to build carbon copy housing, noone is culling.........all I'm sayin' is, I know where you can get some deer carcasses and I'll sell you one for a buck.

ps. I'm not a hippy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5000

another day at the office