My name means "the rising sun"

i apologize if this one seems at all hackneyed or spotty. it was written originally at the beginning of the week, but my brain has been.....elsewhere and i have not really been able to focus enough to polish it. for those of you just coming by....start here 1 2 3 4 5
_________________________________________________
I remember my friends leaving. I remember deciding not to leave. I remember wondering how I would get home. I remember the girl with a piece of her foot missing. Her name was Dawn.

The mania inside spilled out into the parking lot and landed in the back of TGNK's truck. The current swept me up along with Fess, Kris , Dawn and of course TGNK. The world began to shrink.

We sat in the back passing time the way you pass time with strangers who are friends, which is markedly different than passing time with friends who are strangers. Half of TGNK was trying to slick his way into Kris. It was going to be a failed attempt and we all knew it, but the game was played anyway. Dawn and I discovered each other in the corner and the world diminished some more.

She gave me an intimate tour of her body. She showed me her black lace. She enticed me with visions of a bathtub filled with pineapples and chocolate sauce.....and her. She told me things that a 15 year old might not necessarily believe but would find fascinating. She was a witch, she was a vampire, she knew a guy named Grendle who wore a gasmask, spoke two English words, and lived chained in a basement. I didn't believe a word she said but I loved listening to her. The world all but vanished.
We spent some time nuzzling each other and a moment of guilt winked at me. My girlfriend at the time would break my heart the next day, for totally unrelated reasons, I think she thought she had a chance at Fess. I remember, distinctly, mentioning "no nibbling". I also recall that Dawn knew I was lying and continued anyway.

Throughout the night migrant workers would exit the building in the back to drop whatever they had into the dumpster. Each time they would glance over at the miscreants sitting for hours in the back of a truck behind the diner. Who knows what thoughts they had. At one point Kris and Dawn stood up together with no visible communication and displayed their wares to the delight of everyone in the truck. It was acknowledged that Kris had the nicer set but Dawn's were not to be scoffed at. Not that I've been known scoff at breasts.

The night finished itself off in this way. Dawn and I watched the sun pull itself into the sky not realizing the irony. Firstly because I was living life under a different name. And secondly, I didn't find out what my name meant until years later.
At one point we ended up in a pile inside the diner. The booth barely accepting us. There was an incident involving strawberries and cream.

When the light was done bringing the world back TGNK alerted us that they would be leaving. They also filled us in on the fact they would not be driving us home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5000

another day at the office