thick grooves in a haunted studio

on again and off again. i remember when i used to play my guitar as if it was the only thing keeping me alive. i'm surprised i never named her. every day, i doted on her for a least an hour or two. i remember nights when the desire to play tore me from slumber. 9 hours later i would be arpeggiating like some madman, doing 8 or 9 fret stretches and sweeping like i never will again. it was euphoric.

i had been in several bands, none of which amounted to anything. then while i was wasting an education i found a new band. to be honest, i originally hadn't thought they were that great, not bad, just not something that i lost sleep over. one day though, i discovered 'the groove'. up to this point we had been 5 people playing together. i think i had been entranced, we all had. how else could you explain why we played the same song for 45 minutes straight. music took on new dimensions and textures for me that day, and i have never been able to hear it the way i had before.

the life of a musician is not easy though. and after years of it, i think portions of my brain have retired, living off some bodily pension. i put my guitar down a few years ago. from time to time i'll play a little ditty to distract myself but i've lost the taste for it. this past weekend, however, i grabbed my brother and we met some guys i know and threw out some jams and knocked out some funk. it was a good time. that being said......


are there any musicians out there?

if so, can someone explain how it's possible that my guitar could possibly be feeding back from the bass amp on the other side of the room? no cables were connecting it or crossed. in fact....if you listened carefully you could hear what i was playing coming out of the amp. if he adjusted the the volume knob on his bass, it affected what was heard. meanwhile, no sound was coming out of my my rig. when i looked at the back of my amp i noticed the speakers were not connected.

very odd.



by the way, does anyone know when the next Tool album is supposed to be coming out?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5000

another day at the office